Tuesday 16 September 2008

Credit crunch

With all this talk of a recession and what not, I have come to the conclusion that it is time to have a firm hold of the purse strings and tighten them. I don’t mean we should all turn Scrooge and let the recession affect our appearance. Never that. But it’s time to limit the caramel macchiatos and mochas that I have become accustomed to and time to use the dreaded work kettle and make my coffee. I mean there has been a jar of Kenco in my drawer for the past month and the amount of times I’ve used it I could count on one hand. It’s funny how I can mange to find myself standing in a queue in Starbucks- leave the office- but can’t go to the kitchen to make a coffee. Which is more cost-effective and probably takes up less time and I could put as much coffee as I want! Making it stronger and I’ll be able to get through the day that little bit more with extra coffee.
The credit crunch also brings me to my next point. Finding a more cost-effective way of getting to work. I thought about walking one stop so I could save £1 if I do it both in the morning and after work (I refuse to buy a monthly pass, its cheaper for me to PAYG). But let’s be realistic after a night out or in, will I really get up out of bed that bit earlier? Nah, thought not. But on the way back from work that is an option, I could even pop in to Tesco or Iceland on the way home. I also thought about getting a moped. My brother reckons his friend spends £10 a week on petrol for his moped. I really could see myself whizzing down the A40 in a baby pink moped. But then I realised I will be paying for two insurance policies. When you compare car insurance to bike insurance premiums, bikes probably work out cheaper. So I would be saving money, but I thought about winter. I can barely sand outside for too long when it’s cold let alone drive in the cold. And what about when it’s raining? My hair?!?!
So as much as in theory a bike would be best for me, I would really need the choice of both car and bike, and the words credit crunch come to mind and forking out for two insurance polices really isn’t the one.

That my friends was my thought for the day okay well maybe just morning. Monday morning and I am thinking about cruising to work in my moped to save time and money. Well back to the grind for me.

No comments: